I’ve previously explained the DC Ticker I compile most days, which is now being featured weekly on ABC News’ website show, Political Punch, hosted by Jake Tapper. Here are the picks featured on the latest PP:
* Sen. Dick Durbin, buy. The No. 2 Democratic in the Senate, a liberal, is the most effective advocate for Obama’s tax-cut deal in the Upper Chamber. As the bill passes without too much trouble in the Senate, Obama can thank him.
* Sen. Bernie Sanders, buy. The independent senator from Vermont became a progressive hero when he filibustered the tax cut deal. He’s not going to be able to stop it, but he earned himself a Twitter hashtag (#filibernie).
* Sen. John Thune, buy. With grumbling on the right about the current crop of 2012 GOP presidential contenders, Thune offers what many Republicans yearn for: a fresh face. It worked for the Ds in 2008.
* Sen. John Cornyn, buy. He’s signed up for another tour leading the National Republican Senatorial Committee. No surprise–he knows that 2012 at this point looks like it’s going to be a great year for Republicans in the Senate.
* Michael Steele, dump. After the GOP achieved a historic victory in the midterm elections, almost everyone in the party wanted the chairman gone. Yet he’s running for re-election. If he loses, he probably won’t get a Fox News show.
You can receive the almost-daily DC Ticker report by following my Twitter feed. (#DCticker is the Twitter hashtag.) Please feel free to argue with my selections—though all decisions of the judges are final. And please feel free to make suggestions for buy or sell orders in the comments below or on Twitter (by replying to @DavidCornDC).
DC Ticker is merely an advisory service. It and its author cannot be held liable for any investments made in politicians, policy wonks, or government officials on the basis of the information presented. Invest in politics at your own risk.